Inner Dialogue 3


I have a bad habit of searching for beauty in beasts and forever in temporary people. ~unknown





You Know the Sort 

As I am making my way to the counter to purchase a good Sauvignon Blanc from New Zealand I hear the cashier before I see her. You know the sort — overly friendly and way too familiar with customers. Everyone is ‘babe’ ‘hon’ or ‘ my guy/my girl’. She’s not young either. Not even pretty. Face like an old hound and hair too long for her age. An old barmaid type that likes to gossip and talk behind the backs of women prettier than her. Her career likely a series of dignity stripping, low wage jobs. She’s a women used to charming folks for tips.
I cringe when she calls me 'hon'.


                                                                     Viper's Tongue

I knew in my heart he was a snake charmer. In silent film days he’d have been billed as the ‘lothario’. His words fell out of his mouth like sweet strawberry syrup. You know it’s not good for you but you can’t stop lapping it up. The red dress he bought me was like a garment out of Gone With the Wind. Like nothing I’d ever owned before. Something a debutante who was screwing a country squire would wear. Nobody, man or woman, has ever kissed me like that. The way he cupped my face in his hand before devouring my lips and tongue. I can’t surrender to any sort of slumber without my body and lips aching for him. Words like strawberry syrup and poison. May I have another spoonful, please?

                                                                        
                                                                            Spivey
I hadn’t spoken to him in years. The conversation was titillating at first but then all of the reminders of why I dubbed him “Spivey” all those years ago came flooding back to me in big , ludicrous waves. Fourteen solid minutes of his pathetic try-hard bragging. His cars, his three thousand dollar golf clubs, the Chanel bag he just bought his wife. On and on.
“So, are you still a sweet piece of size 6 ass”? was the question he asked me after 15 years and 14 minutes. I press the mute button on my phone and walk away. He’s probably still talking….



CJ Ellis

Comments

Popular Posts