The BHD Artist to Artist Series: A.J. Mills, The Black Country's Newest Metal Son

 







  1. In a section of English country that Charles Dickens loved to hate, many legendary rock and metal bands have been born. 

    Perhaps there is something magical in the dark waters of the River Tame. 

    Rising like an inferno from the very metal roots of Wednesbury is tall, intensely talented, blonde guitarist, A.J. Mills.  Influenced by and associated with the mighty KK Downing, founding member of Judas Priest, let's meet the Black Country's newest Metal Son.





    Finally, A.J.! ----I have been looking so forward to this interview and now that we have a moment to catch up, let's get right into it. It's been a helluva last few years for you, how are you taking it all in these days after working alongside and recording with KK and  Tim 'Ripper' Owens?

    Hey Tina! Thanks very much for having me. The last few years have been crazy indeed! It’s no secret that I was a Judas Priest fanatic growing up as a kid, my Dad took me to see them in Birmingham for my very first concert when I was 14 and it literally changed my life! I remember they opened with the song ‘Metal Gods’ and K.K. Came out owning the stage and playing a really cool-looking black ESP guitar. It was there and then that I decided that’s what I wanted to do in life too! Then later in life as I got to know K.K. Whilst he was producing my band ‘Hostile’ I told him this story and he actually gave me that very same Black ESP guitar. How cool is that?









    I have to say, I have had Hostile's 'Freedom Act' on replay for over a week! Your brother Jay is a powerhouse! There is so much to say about this song but let me start with this---any new Hostile irons in the fire we can expect?

    Thank you! That’s a great aggressive full-on metal song for sure! Yes, Jay has got a set of lungs on him! He was heavily influenced by the likes of Phil Anselmo and Rob Flynn etc when he was a kid. No new Hostile for the moment I’m afraid, everyone is really busy doing other things but who knows, maybe one day!

    The band Hostile has been your baby from the start---I hear my own ideas of who influenced you but can you share with us what bands influenced Hostile specifically?


    Yes, I really had a great time playing in that band and we did some killer tours! We had to fight real hard like a lot of other bands but it was really rewarding. For my part, the influences were old-school heavy metal as well as bands like Pantera, Machine Head, Slayer.




    Can you offer up some background on how you and KK Downing crossed paths and how he has mentored you over the years? Many obviously see a 'father/son' - like dynamic in your collaboration---how would you describe your artistic relationship with KK? 

    Well quite simply, K.K. went to school with my uncle Steve. K.K., Steve, and my dad used to hang out when they were kids whenever K.K. used to visit his Nan in West Bromwich, who lived on the same estate as my Dad and Uncle. They’re still friends now and as soon as I was old enough to drive I had the job of driving them to the pub! That’s how I met K.K. As soon as he saw how serious I was about wanting to be a musician, he really took me under his wing and I’ll be forever grateful for that. As I mentioned before, I had already worked with K.K. on two Hostile albums before I joined ‘KK’s Priest’ so it all felt really comfortable right away. I’m trying to learn as much from him as possible. It’s definitely like the heavy metal version of Mr. Miyagi and Daniel Larusso haha.


    Let's get technical and talk about your gear. The Flying V looks to be your ax of choice. Is it in fact and why? What sound are you looking for and what gear works best for you as a lead guitarist? 


    The Flying V is definitely my ax of choice! In fact, I have just had a new one made for me by ‘KxK Guitars’ and I’m absolutely in love with it! The Flying V just screams of Heavy Metal, doesn’t it? I wonder why? Ha ha! I think the ‘Unleashed in the East’ album cover had a lot to do with that! K.K. Doing THAT famous shape with it. We guitarists are constantly changing our gear, it’s a nightmare! Or we’re a nightmare? There are a million things to think about but we always make it work whatever we decide to use.





    Out of curiosity, do you have much of a singing voice? 

    I can sing a little yes, I have seen that Ripper has been kind about my voice in a couple of his interviews, I’m not sure who’s paying him to say that though. haha


    That live show or performance that stays in your memory above all others?

    What a great question! I’ve done so many great shows and tours with Hostile from the very first time we played Download festival at Donington Park , touring with Machine Head, and playing Moscow arena with Megadeth.. but it’s got to be when I shared the stage with K.K., Ripper, David Ellefson and Les Binks for a one-off show at KKs Steel Mill in 2019. We did an hour and 15-minute set I believe and the atmosphere was just electric. People had traveled from all over the world to see that show and I felt really humbled to be a part of it.

    On a more private level, how has growing up in the Black Country influenced you not only as an artist but as a person? 

    Well, the Black Country is quite a rough little place and I have definitely inherited street smarts from growing up there! A lot of great bands have come from that area as you know so there must be something in the water maybe?


    Okay, A.J.---let's really dig in. lol ----For the record, I ask every artist this specific inquiry. What do you believe to be your most marked characteristic as an individual and a performer?


    As a person I am totally Yin and Yang, I’ll love you to death until you cross me and I can hold a grudge forever haha. As a performer, I’m all about having a good time, feeding off the energy of the band, and making people happy. I really enjoy that.






    What can we look forward to with not only KK's Priest but from Hostile? Any new projects in the works that you want to share?

    Stay tuned for some ‘KK’s Priest’ news coming soon!

    This has been an absolute blast A.J, I hope you enjoyed it too! In closing, what is your idea of perfect happiness? 

    Yes, it’s been great to talk! Thanks again for having me.
    Perfect happiness? Being on stage with a great band that is absolutely on form and then coming home from a killer tour and hanging out with my family with a cold beer and a swimming pool, ideally in Spain! hahaha



    Wow, just some brilliant synchronicity in your life thus far, A.J.! I don't think you could have a better mentor than KK. To so many young guitarists, he was the absolute arch-type of what a metal guitarist is and should be. 

    Not at all surprised to hear that Phil Anselmo and Robb Flynn influenced Hostile as well---you know these are exactly what came to mind listening to much of your stuff with Hostile.

    Looking so forward to new material from you, KK and the gang. Thank you for sharing a Sunday afternoon with me! You're humble and lovely and I hope your fans feel as though they got a closer glimpse of the crazy talented, A.J. Mills. 




    CJ Ellis, 2022














    Comments

    Popular Posts