The BHD Artist to Artist Series : George Call, The Lone Star Rock Star.





George sent Yesterday at 11:43 PM





This undeniably brash, gravel-voiced Southern boy is not only the founding member of beloved and local Dallas/Forth Worth music scene's ASKA but has lent his high octane vocals to a handful of other important metal acts like Banshee, Omen, legendary British metal band, Cloven Hoof and his new project, Legion of the Dog. Sometimes--all at once.

Always witty and no-holds-barred, let's catch up with the inimitable, George Call.



What can we look forward to with the upcoming ASKA release and do you find it a challenge to keep things fresh?

Well, for starters you can expect another great slab of very traditional, melodically voiced heavy metal with a lot of hooks, dealing in a variety of interesting topics covering the fantastic, the whimsical and mature subjects to round it all off. Subject-wise it's similar in scope to what we've done on our previous releases.
And sure it can be a challenge for any band with as much longevity as ours to keep things fresh but I think our albums in the past have always presented enough variance that we avoid the "AC/DC keeps making the same album over and over" syndrome that so many folks pretend to complain about just before the album hits number one in the sales charts again. Critics always try to berate AC/DC but they're doing well to ignore those as everything they release tends to penetrate well.






Is the writing a collaborative effort or do you write the lion's share of lyrics?

Yes to both of those questions. I'm involved in the writing of every single song on the new record. All records except maybe our first two really. Even the song Keith brought in for the album fully written eventually got my input when he needed a couple of changes to it a few weeks after he'd presented the song.
Even though I do the lion's share of the writing I'm very open to being collaborative. This time around our new guitar player, Bryant Contreras, totally stepped up and jumped in feet first into our process and it worked to great effect. We were quite pleased that his ideas were so strong and seemed to fit in so perfectly with what I was whipping up. We really feel that creatively the band is hitting its mark and then some.









What were some of your influences on this album? Uh, I'd say the usual suspects: KISS, Priest, Maiden, and Sabbath. Nothing grates more than metal bands saying things like "Prince" or whoever else may be perceived as "hip", non-metal acts when asked what their influences were on their new metal album. If you're doing metal, BE metal.










George sent Today at 12:40 AM

George, what is your most marked characteristic as a performer and as an individual?

Next question. (More laughter). I always wanted to say that in an interview ala Johnny Rotten on the Bill Grundy show.

Actually, I don't want to be too overly self-analytical, but I will say I am 100% into what I do. Music has been the largest, most consistent, and integral part of my life and I don't see that ever-changing.


Singing or being a guitarist? What feels more intuitive for you?

I was a guitarist first so that always felt most natural. Then a dual-threat singer/guitarist. When other bands took me in though, starting with Omen, I went to vocals-only as I found it easier to just bring my voice with me instead of lugging hundreds of pounds of amps and guitars around. It worked out better for me that way. Of course, at first, it was very awkward to just sing 'naked', if you will. No guitar to hide behind. You kind of have to figure out what to do to not come off stiff. I've been doing it for so many years now that I'm cool with it. I've acclimated.

Tell me about your current gear and guitar collection. I note you own several BC Rich's.

With ASKA I play a variety of Guild, Gibson, and BC Rich Guitars through Marshall 4×12 cabs. I used to play and record with a Carvin 100 watt head but I started looking for a different sound around the start of the century. The search continues. As for mics, I have a couple of Shure wireless mics that I'll just as often use as not. Pre- Covid I would typically use whatever house mic was available but I doubt I'll do that anymore. I used to endorse Cad mics at one point and they gave me some mics and a really nice set of in-ear monitors.

That one performance and or live show that stays in your memory above all others?

There are many actually. Some of ASKA's early performances both at home and on tour are so memorable. There are so many great show memories; from guys out of the audience in Bahrain sitting onstage helping us keep the drums from sliding across the stage by sitting in front of them and physically holding them in place, to machine-gun fire going off in the distance while we performed on a freezing cold stage in Croatia, to playing for stone-cold sober soldiers in Saudi Arabia and them acting crazier than our drunk audiences elsewhere. They rocked hard! I also remember headlining the Keep It True fest in Germany. Such fun. Headbangers Open Air, SwordBrothers, Rocklahoma, Warriors of Metal, so many fun festivals and shows around the world. Up the Hammers in Greece was great. I really enjoyed playing the Trueheim festival with the Hoof in Germany as well. Bang Your Head. All fun. I also have very fond memories of ASKA shows in Iceland. Japan and Australia too. I guarantee you I have a great and outrageous story for all 60 plus countries I've performed in. Poland was a blast. England. France. Fuck. Everywhere but Haiti was charming and killer.

George sent Today at 2:15 AM Which band that you have fronted has demanded the most from you in terms of sheer performance?


Let's talk about your vocal style. There is a real, almost annoying tendency to want to compare you with other 80's metal vocalists, most notably Maiden's Bruce Dickinson. I think I myself have compared you to Geoff Tate or Dio but I feel your voice is undeniably and uniquely, yours.

When did you realize you had such a powerful singing voice?

My voice was something I had to work at. It didn't come naturally. If you pore over my early recorded work through to the present, you'll notice a gradual betterment and progression. There was no "Aha!" moment for me. I slowly evolved to the point where I am now. In 2000 I think it was I was nominated 'Male Vocalist of the Year' in the Dallas Observer Music Awards. Unusual because the rag tended to be very dismissive and derisive of metal music as a matter of policy. To get such a nod in that weekly periodical was kind of the point where I started to think I'd made proper strides in the vocal department. 6 or 7 years later other bands started discovering my voice as well and liking what they heard. I soon was fronting one band after another, usually in tandem, and fielding offers to do musicals, guest album spots, studio work, weddings, you name it. It was all somehow satisfyingly backward for me as I'd always fancied myself a guitarist that could sing. Others' perceptions of me were that I was a singer that also played guitar. It was a pleasant and unexpected development that has allowed me to greatly increase my musical legacy and output. I'm quite proud of the records I've done with ASKA, Banshee and Cloven Hoof.

How do you keep your voice in shape--especially as you get older?

Huh? What? Keep my voice in shape? What is that? Would you be surprised to hear that I rarely warm up before I sing live? People that hear me speak know that my voice is long damaged. Fortunately, I don't sing like I speak. I can definitely inject the raspiness present in my speaking voice into my performances at will and for good effect and then turn around and clean it up to where you'd never suspect my throat was as fried as it is.
Any other strengths/talents/hobbies that you possess that might surprise my readers?

I used to draw a lot. I had quite a bit of artistic talent. I would work with pen and ink, scratchboard, pastels, watercolor. I was an artist from a very early age. I love fantasy artists like Frank Frazetta and Ken Kelly. Simon Bizley and Justin Sweet. I did give it all up though when I decided to pursue music. There are only so many hours in a day and I wasn't interested in being a half talent here and there so I went all out with music. I play drums, a bit of keyboard, recorder a little harmonica. As for hobbies, I collect music on vinyl and in CD formats, I enjoy sixth-scale figures and collectible figures in general. I collect all things Conan; clothes, games, books. I enjoy gaming, reading, movies, guitars. Always music. Always music.







Finally here, what is your idea of perfect happiness offstage?

My idea of perfect happiness is understanding that such concepts are illusory and that people can be happy in a puddle of shit if they but so choose to be. I like my life. Pre- Covid I've mostly done exactly what I wanted to do for most of the entirety of it and that of and in itself makes me happy. Ever notice that miserable people are surrounded by unhappiness? It may sound cliche but the old adage is spot on: 'Don't worry, be happy. This actually works. That said though, I'm in a great relationship, my kids are an absolute joy, I'm still friends with most of my old running buddies from school, and my band members and I get to write and record songs that get released by record companies from around the world. Thank you cosmos. Give me a Trump run and victory in 2024 and my cup would runneth over.

Thanks so much for the interview. These were some really great questions.


It has been a blast and an honest pleasure, my friend.


George sent Today at 2:16 AM

You sent Today at 2:20 

George sent Today at 

George sent To

Comments

Popular Posts